Friday, March 23, 2012

Math Games With Dice - The Familiar

I use a lot of dice in my classroom teaching. They're great for activities related to subitizing, basic fact practice, place value, probability, and so much more.

I'm always surprised when my students tell me they've never played some fairly popular dice games. If they have played them, it's often been an online version. However, there's a lot to be said for shaking and spilling real dice and recording the outcomes on your own score sheet. 

Two games I like are Yahtzee and Farkle. One requires five dice, the other six. The rules are different, but they both lead to practicing a number of skills in computation. You can find resources and rules for both these games online.
You can find complete directions for Yahtzee at the Hasbro site.
You can also download Yahtzee score sheets.
You can download the directions for Farkle at the Elverson Puzzle site.
You can also download Farkle score sheets.

If you are interested in some other dice games for math, check out Dice Games for Kids (directions and score sheets included) and Family Dice Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment